Papaya Salad is my must order appetiser in Thai restaurant, the sour spicy taste really open up your stomach for main courses. When my first time trying it in Thailand, I looked at the menu, I have no clue that it is papaya, for me, it looks like shredded cucumbers. I was so shocked after I was told that it actually made of raw papaya.
After traveling to Thailand for few times, I’ve got chances to try papaya salad (locals call it Som Tum) from different places, high-end restaurants, shopping mall food courts, street hawker stalls or in the farms. I observed they way they made it and the ingredients they used. I finally came out with this recipes. My papaya salad recipe that is inspired by real Thai hawker stall chef.
- -300 grams shredded raw papaya
- -200 grams shredded raw carrot
- -5 peeled garlics
- -5 chillies
- -2 tomatoes (cut in half)
- -2 tablespoons grilled peanut
- -1 Long bean (1 inch chopped)
- -2 tablespoons fish sauce
- -2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- -1/4 cup tamarind juice
- -1/2 key lime
- -1 tablespoon palm sugar
1.Put chillies and garlics in mortar then pestle them until break into pieces.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, long bean, peanut, dried shrimp then pestle again.
3. Add palm sugar then pestle it until thoroughly mixed.
4. Put shredded papaya and shredded carrot in and stir them with ladle until mixed.
5. Add fish sauce, key lime, and tamarind juice then stir until mixed.
6. Put on the plate and you are ready to eat!
I have filmed a little video for demonstration, please enjoy. Let me know how your papaya salad is going to look like.